Matte Black, 7 Places To Use It In Your Decor
I have loved white decor for a very long time. And as much as I still really love it, one of the recent interior trends that have been pulling me in is matte black. I fell for white because of the way it can make a room look bigger and brighter. Black, on the other hand, has the amazing ability to make a room look cosy and sleek at the same time!
So, with the help of lovely Pinterest and researching how and where I will add matte black to my home, I have started the process. Over the last few months, I have slowly started to add black to my decor. One of the places I have probably found the easiest to start with is the children’s room. As I have two boys, adding a bit of black to their room turned out to be a great idea. Not only has it made the room look a lot more sophisticated, but I have also found myself not worrying too much about finger marks on the furniture!
Win-win in my eyes!
Check out below how I have added black to my son’s room. Because I already had quite a few white pieces in my decor, I felt it was just natural to go monochrome. A balance between the black and white.
The children’s room isn’t the only place I plan on using a bit more matte black. If you are also really feeling this trend, read along to find out where else you can be using some matte black.
I find that it can add a really sophisticated look to a room. I love when it’s added to different colours and textures. For example, a plain black wardrobe paired with a textured colourful rug. The black can still make a statement whilst complimenting the rug too. It can be a very simple piece of furniture but still really stand out because of the fact that it is matte black.
Depending on where you prefer to have matte black in your home, here are 7 places you can incorporate the trend:
- Kitchen cabinets. I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of this before. Matte black kitchen cabinets. If you want to make your kitchen cosy yet sophisticated, try a bit of this colour. Personally, it is the place I want to use matte black the most. It makes a statement without standing out too much.
- Kitchen utensils. Kitchen utensils would look so cool in black! I absolutely love this idea because it is different. If you don’t want to take a big chunk of your decor and turn it black, little bits and pieces of kitchen utensils are a great place to use it.
- Home accessories; vases, trays etc… These are a great way of slowly incorporating the colour at home. If you have been a white lover for the past few years and, like me, haven’t tried to explore too many other colours, the change can seem like quite a leap. Starting with home accessories is probably the best place as it can slowly blend into your decor.
- Furniture. For example, your wardrobe, your desk or even your sofa! Changing one or two pieces of furniture to black can be an idea. I love the way one piece of furniture can recreate the look of a room.
- Walls. If you’re worried about applying it to a whole room, which I, by the way, wouldn’t even do myself, try adding it to half. And what I mean by half is apply black to the bottom half of your room and leave the top half white. This way you’re adding the colour you want without overtaking the whole room.
- Desk accessories. It can make your desk look so classy! Just a few matte black boxes or a pen pot and voila, a classy desk too?!
- Bedding. This is the one I absolutely love the idea of, but not sure if I can do myself I really love printed bedding. But, one way you can try it is by adding texture to your bedding as well as black. Maybe with a huge chunky blush throw. It creates contrast and texture.
I will probably be adding matte black to a few of those places I have named. If you’re also thinking about adding some matte black, feel free to use some of the tips. I hope they have helped.